11.10.08

kick the habit

So today I had a conversation with someone about their faith and such. Well, I guess you could say I just listened really. I've found that its pretty easy for a Christian to talk a whole lot about faith, but it surprisingly takes a lot of control to just sit there and listen to someone talk about their faith and not interrupt them when you know that something they're saying isn't biblical or just plan isn't right.

Well, I think I accidentally brought up the topic because we started talking about how he was trying to quit smoking and how he felt like this time he would be able to do it for sure. I told him I can relate cause there was a time in my life when I just knew that I could completely be a Christian now. "It just finally clicked with me," I told him, "I haven't had much trouble with not being a Christian since." This got him talking a whole lot. About Christianity. About Faith. About what he believes in and why he feels what he believes is ok.

There were more than a dozen times I could have have interrupted telling him why he was wrong, why I was right, telling him how God really is, telling him why he should check out our church, whatever. But I didn't. I just listened. He obviously wouldn't have just started spitting all that out if he wasn't truly searching with his life right now.

I wasn't the one who "saved" him tonight. I wasn't the one to help him "find Jesus"

What I do hope and pray I did tonight though, is that I opened his heart a bit more. Open it up to other Christians like me. Ones who are in a closer relationship with him than I am. I hope I got him thinking about things again.

Jesus didn't need my help spreading the gospel for 1,987 years give or take, I trust Jesus knows what he's doing in that man's life well enough to know what he needs next...whatever soul he uses to connect with him next time. Jesus used me good enough for today.

1 comment:

jonese said...

Beautiful dude. You will definitely be a light :-)