3.11.08

Lukewarm

"15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 19Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. 20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 21To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne."
-Revelation 3:15-21

I put this scripture on here because sometimes I feel like I need to be reminded to be either hot or cold. I think that in America we have a strong tendency to only try and be NOT bad. This is SO hypocritical in my opinion. Not only when I'm trying to just not do bad things, am I not using my strengths and faith to please God with the abilities that I have been given to be "hot" but I'm also breeding self righteousness in me because the only way to judge your actions as bad or acceptable is to compare that in which you are doing to another person. And when comparing yourself to others who ARE NOT Jesus Christ, you are usually doing one of two things..

1. Find yourself someone better than what you feel you are and bring the esteem low or,

2. Find yourself someone worse of than you to make yourself feel superior

Both of these are bad and need to be dealt with.

The way I feel is that if your curious about something, as long as you're taking the proper precautions to keep others safe, then do it. Experience something. Experience everything. For its better for you to learn from a mistake than to be lukewarm from an untested experiment for the rest of your life. Know what it is you're exactly missing. My guess is that if you have a relationship with God already, whatever it is your curious about will not even come close to what you have with Jesus. I know what I experienced this weekend didn't. But I'm glad I experienced it. Now I will never have to wonder anymore. Now I will never have to wish for that in my life again.

And if you ask me, that is a win for Christ with WAY more impact on the life of the person than if that person were to just follow the rules.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Although we have plenty of examples in the Bible of people who failed and made mistakes...heres to hoping that we can learn from theirs, and not have to "try it out." I loved the part you said about comparing ourselves to Jesus, because it is not self instinctive to do that! We as a collective society have been taught to use the things we see on TV or in magazines as things to look up to, but instead, Look to Jesus, for he is the perfect example. Self righteousness is a poison in the Church today, and so many have it, even me at times. Why would an unbeliever find that attractive? Its not! We need to look at the cross to realize that we are wretched soiled rags when compared to Jesus, for we have been saved by grace alone! We have no right to think we are better than any one else. We are only better off, because we have a Savior!! Now lets spread that to the ends of the earth!