22.3.09

writers block OR christian algebra

I apologize for never really updating this thing, but the truth of the matter is that nothing is coming to mind of what I want to talk about. Everything I think of is either something personal that I don't want on the internet, or something really stupid that I would feel like a preacher talking about and my goal for this blog is not to sound like a preacher :P no offense to those preachers out there, but yeah...I want to put lessons out there that are obvious to the audience that I'm struggling with the same thing as what they might be struggling with. Things that preachers would get voted out of the church for having sermons about.

Wow. I just thought about something to talk about. ha.

I would say for about the past 2-3 months I have not gone to a church. This is not counting last week where I finally took up the courage to try out the service they have here at Ft. Meade (wonderful experience might I add *cough*) Nevertheless, church, I've come to notice, is not something a part of the community in the Military, but something that you go to on Sunday. I say this because it is both true for the individuals who don't go to church AS WELL AS those who DO go to church every Sunday. It is an activity in which American Christians go to because that is what God, the original American, has told us in the American Bible to do lest we turn to heathens and go to hell when we die.

Everything in the Military has a regulation. The way you dress, the way you cut your hair, the way you make your bed, the way you keep your locker, the way you keep your room, the way you stretch, the way you address other people, the way you walk, the way you turn, the way you drink water. With this, I feel, is probably the reason why the church has been transformed into what it is here, but let me just say that this is not the way God intended Christianity to be. A relationship with God should NOT be like the military. It is more fluid than this, it is more relational than this, it is more grey than this. It is the difference between a pre sized suit and a custom tailored suit.

Now I'm not quite sure what point I'm trying to make here, but I wish that the churches I've sat through thus far in the military didn't feel so robotic. I'm here saying that I'm kind of confused on what to do right now in regards to getting spiritually fed. I wonder if Jesus ever felt this way when he was human going to churches and feeling like he was the only one who didn't treat God like a math equation. I've seen Christians who could kill me at the biblical brain game (and do it), close non-believers up tighter than a snare drum and have no doubt at all that the non believer was in the wrong. I've also been fortunate enough to have conversations with people and see their walls melt just because of my openness to listen and not give them my Christian advice. The military is not a very Godly place, even at church...this is just my experience, and I'm kind of baffled in what I might be able to do when I can't even find a battle buddy to go to church with.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I am glad you wrote this post. This has been something that has been a very real struggle for me as well. Thank you for your honesty.

Dominique Bortmas said...

I was just about to write a blog about the church, so it's funny you "beat" me to it. :) i got the idea to write it after someone in my college bible study group told me "never say you know what Jesus wants the church to be. He never said, and no one knows, even you..." :'(

TrueXavieR said...

Heather,

Its good to hear from you :) Its been quite a while...I'm sorry that this has been a struggle for you as well because I know first hand that it sucks :P I wish I could give you some advice, but yeah...I'm in the middle of it too. I'll pray for you :)

Dom,

Ha. Its ok, I'll allow you to write a blog about this as well...but I wasn't really trying to say how the church was supposed to be rather than say something its not. I refuse to believe this is what God expects from our churches because even I don't want to be a part of it and I'm ALREADY a Christian. We don't need anymore people telling us what we can and can't do. We need some friends. Someone on our side.

Dominique Bortmas said...

i agree with you. i guess what i meant was i wanted my bible study group to be able to experience the joy and excitement that i get when i read about the church in acts. i wasn't going to give them a check list and bible bash them, but they, me included, often see church as a weekly event that is separate from our everyday, worldly lives.